On behalf of the Scientific and Local Organising Committee for the 24th Annual IRSPM Conference, which is being held at Tampere University, Finland from 22-24 April 2020, we cordially invite you to submit proposals on conference panels. The conference theme for 2020 is ‘Smart public services?’
Smart public services aim to make life easier for service users, involving the application of technologies and effective service system design solving problems that users cannot solve alone. How smart public services succeed is not only a matter of technologies or is it? Opportunities vary between locales, sets of users, and over time the processes and goals of public services, too, vary and are in constant need of discourse around relevance and appropriateness.
Panel proposals should address either the conference theme (of which there are full detail on the conference website) or another key issue in theory and knowledge in public management. Collaborative proposals are particularly welcome with two or three co-chairs.
IRSPM uses a two-stage process in compiling the conference programme. This first stage is for PANEL proposals. The Scientific Committee will evaluate these in terms of their contribution both to our research community and to the coherence of the Conference programme. In the second stage, successful panel chairs will then be invited to circulate a ‘call for papers’ for their panel, both through the conference website and their own networks.
For those panels accepted by the Scientific Committee, it is the responsibility of the panel chair(s) to:
• solicit abstracts for papers and review them in line with the conference guidelines and deadlines,
• notify the Conference Chairs of the acceptance and rejection of papers in a timely manner,
• provide adequate feedback to be forwarded to authors,
• advise the Local Organising Committee as to how many panel track sessions they will require in the programme,
• plan the arrangement of papers in their panel track in collaboration with the Local Organising Committee and arrange for discussants if appropriate,
• provide a nomination from their panel for the best paper, if applicable,
• at the Conference, ensure that arrangements are in place for the chairing and moderation of panel sessions, and
• at the conclusion of the Conference, complete a brief evaluation.
Whilst it is recognised that the content of any panel is dependent upon the submissions made to it, and their overall quality, the Local Organising Committee asks all panel Chairs to take due consideration of gender and diversity balance in their panels and in arrangements for chairing their panel sessions.
Please note that in the case of similar or over-lapping panel submissions, the Scientific Committee may ask panel chairs to collaborate in leading consolidated panels to ensure the overall coherence of the conference.
Submission of panel proposals
All panel proposals should include the title of the panel, the name(s) and affiliation(s) of the chair(s) and a contact email(s), a description of the panel topic, and an explanation of its contribution to the field of public management.
Any innovative element of the panel should also be noted (i.e. describe in detail what is needed in terms of the panel facilities in the room or other etc.). Proposals must not exceed 350 words. Longer proposals will be rejected. Note that the conference language is English and that all panel proposals (and subsequent papers) must be in English.
The proposal for a panel should be posted into Tampere University electronic submission channel here: https://www.lyyti.in/irspm2020_CallForPanels. The panel submission is now open and the deadline is 5 July, 4pm (CET). Authors will be notified of the outcome by 30 August.